Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter

I love Michelangelo's Pieta. The first time I saw it, it brought tears to my eyes. I cannot understand how an artist could create such a sense of compassion and pathos out of stone!

I must be getting older. I have become impatient with all the easter bunny and santa claus myths. They have their place but I would like to see more emphasis put on the original christian reasons for the seasons. There is great magic there.

I used to take my girls to see a passion play in Kamloops. I loved it because of the story and the fact that the local church people all took part, even one physically handicapped girl who was turned into a princess carried about in a palanquin, and there were animals..donkeys and goats. It was a simple but oh so powerful story brought to life.

1 comment:

Autumn Leaves said...

I hadn't seen this sculpture before and it is indeed both gorgeous and stirring. I saw the Passion Play twice up in Puyallup, WA. Moved me to tears each time I saw it. What a powerful story to see brought to life and I so wish everyone could and would see it. Hope you had a wonderful day!